The outlying district of the city was not included in the fortification plan of Cartagena de Indias drawn up by Bautista Antonelli in 1595 since at that time it contained only the Convent of San Francisco and the slaughterhouse.
Decades later the outlying district became populated and the governor, Francisco de Murga, decided to construct bulwarks there as well, at the beginning of the decade of the 1630s.
Getsemaní was thus included within the walled city, with the Media Luna Entrance being the only overland access to the city. The stone ramparts, aside from their clear defensive function, were supposed to make contraband in the outlying area difficult, and from then on they would be fenced in on all sides with the exception of the section bordering the old Matuna swamp, because if this was taken by enemies, it would represent a threat to the ramparts and bulwarks of the city’s downtown area.
The Bulwarks of San Miguel de Chambacú, San José and San Lorenzo, also known as El Reducto are conserved. It is the only part of the walled group that, just as it was projected, is still at the water’s edge. The Media Luna Entrance, and the entire southern section near Arsenal Street, were destroyed at the beginning of the XX century.
Places to visit